The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a F-350 2005 6.0L that has just started to give me trouble. I can't take it to the dealer for repair ( I'm too far away). It only has 13,000 mi. First it started to make the turbo fart sound cho,cho,cho when letting off pedal, but didn't seem to affect performance. Then one day driving on the highway climbing a hill it lost most of the power. The turbo boost went to zero and will not increase. I drove it home about 35 miles, but barely could climb the hills.

I figured that the turbo crapped out. So I found another turbo and changed it out. Still the same problem. No turbo boost pressure and no power.

What could the problem be? I don't have a scanner. Is this a possible sensor problem? When I changed the turbo I noticed the coolant level was below the add line.
How can I diagnose the problem with limited tools? I have read this forum for hours and hours yet don't know what to do next.

Please help me figure this thing out.
Dave

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Check all your CAC(intake) Boots. might have blown/torn a boot

·
1,240 Posts
bet the vanes are stuck and when you backed off it blew off an IC boot. That fat sound is air going back out the intake from the extra boost you're not using when you let off the throttle.

·
34 Posts
if you already replaced the turbo with another one, you've got enough tools to do most jobs under the hood.
I take it you didn't see any abnormalites before the first turbo was removed. What you indicated sounded like the classical "CAC tube popping off". this unfortunate occurance happens under load and is easily rectified.
Keep us posted on what's going on.
However, you should get it to the dealer since it is covered under warranty and the problem will be fixed.
Like Bill said, check all your cac tubes first.

·
HalfAst Racing
456 Posts
my friends here at work did the exact same thing,stuck vanes and all. except, it blew the tank off the intercooler.the bright orange seal was hangn out thats how he noticed.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the CAC pipes & boots today.

OK men. I checked out the CAC pipes & boots today. I did not find anything wrong in the CAC connections. Everything looked good as far as I could see. Is there any way I may have missed something? The only place I couldn't see very well was on the bottom side coming out from the charge air cooler. I am assuming when the hoses blow off it is on the compressor outlet side most often? All the boots and connections looked tight and intact without any ruptures. Any other suggestions where I can check next?
Thanks,
Dave

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I changed the complete turbo and it didn't fix the problem. So I don't think it is the VGT solenoid. Since the replacement turbo was working fine before I installed it in my motor.

·
645 Posts
is the map sensor hose connected to the right side of the intake manifold?

·
1,240 Posts
pull the IC tube off the turbo and put it in a clean spot then take the intake off the turboso you can see the wheel. Get someone to start the truck and see if to can tell how much the wheel is spinning and see how much air you can feel coming out. If it's alot just put you hand over the hole and see how it does with back pressure.

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
well first:
can you hear any air moving (like a air leak noise)
if not then it is electrical somewhere because otherwise it would be leaking air either pre turbo (up-pipes or where they clamp to the turbo) or you would have a air leak post turbo witch you already checked.
So my guess is either the intercooler is blown far enough away from the cab that you cant hear it or that its electrical, Now that i think about it the vgt solenoid is plugged in correct?

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can hear what sounds like air leaking, kind of a whistle sound. But I can't seem to locate where it is coming from. I don't recall hearing this whistle before changing the turbo, but I definately do hear something when I'm in the cab giving it throttle. I can't tell where the whistle is coming from when I'm in the engine compartment. I did notice what looked like some black soot near the clamp on the up pipe left side of turbo.
Yes the VGT solenoid is plugged in.
How can I check to see if something is blown on the intercooler? Are you talking about the charge air cooler? How do I check it?

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
I can hear what sounds like air leaking, kind of a whistle sound. But I can't seem to locate where it is coming from. I don't recall hearing this whistle before changing the turbo, but I definately do hear something when I'm in the cab giving it throttle. I can't tell where the whistle is coming from when I'm in the engine compartment. I did notice what looked like some black soot near the clamp on the up pipe left side of turbo.
Yes the VGT solenoid is plugged in.
How can I check to see if something is blown on the intercooler? Are you talking about the charge air cooler? How do I check it?
ok if you see soot that kind of rules out the intercooler (charge air cooler):thumbsup
so best thing to check is where the up-pipe flange meets the turbo (driverside) the clamp has been known to crack before so it still looks good until you take it out and look closely.
Next, do still have all the egr stuff on the motor???
another thing that could kind of help is to tell us if you have any performance mods done to it EX. tuner, exhaust... so on
OH and if you have a aftermarket exhaust it is possible that it wore a hole in the up-pipe on the passenger side and there is your problem:thumbsup
hope this helps Brent

·
1,240 Posts
bet it's a cracked "Y" pipe or up pipe.

·
Registered
210 Posts
wouldnt you see smoke coming from under the hood if the y pipe is cracked

·
1,240 Posts
not always, the fan is forcing air onto the front and down the back of the motor. I'd try what I was saying in the other post, then you can see how the turbo reacts to back pressure and you could hear more air coming out with pressure on the turbo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts