The Diesel Garage banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If the Y pipe is cracked would the boost pressure = 0 psi? I don't show any boost pressure and can't feel the turbo at all (no power). Is that the symptoms of a cracked Y-pipe or loose flange connection? Just want to be sure before I tear into taking the Y-pipe off, for a close up visual inspection.

I just had the drivers side up-pipe clamp off when I changed the turbo and it appeared to be ok, but I didn't look at it real close. The soot I saw is on the drivers side up-pipe, both turbo side and pipe side. It is possible, I didn't get the clamp fully tight after changing the turbo, or there was a leak before. I don't know.

The motor is completely stock, with all EGR junk still in place. No performance mods at all.

Thank you all for helping me diagnose this issue. You guys are great.
Dave

·
1,240 Posts
I'd try what I said b4. or maybe you could let the truck cool down (4-6 hours or overnight) then start the truck and get under the hood and feel around the turbo and y pipe with you bare hand and arm, thats how I found my leak. The way it lost power leads me to think it was an ic boot or the ic itself though. a crack doesn't just blow open oneday driving down the road and you didn't work on it b4 it happened so it's nothing you could have done. Easiest way to pinpoint it will eliminate one item at a time starting with the up pipes to the turbo. If you pull the ic tube off the turbo while it's running and put you hand over while someone is giving it gas and you feel a good bit of pressure with no strange sound of air behind the motor... it's not there so move to the next thing. Put the ic tube back onto the turbo and pull the ic tube of the cool side of the ic and repeat. If it still does it then something is up with your intake manifold or maybe (not likely) the erg valve is stuck open all the way but, even then I'd think you'd still have some boost.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
you can use a mirrior if its running and warm, as soon as exhaust hits it, she will Fog up. :happymugs

·
busting parts
204 Posts
try changing out the back persure senser had the same issue on my 05,i was coming home from va and the boost went to nothing,i just kept hammering it and i guess it went into default, because cel came on and boost jumped to 10 psi, no more.changed the senser and all was well.i dodnt think your issue is from leaky uppipes, because it should still have some boost.bad senser or wire chaffing or vgt issue. not a diesel tech just passing on my experance.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I won't be able to work on this truck until next week sometime. Leaving town for the weekend. Thanks everybody. I will report back here what I find out when I get back.

Dave

21 - 27 of 27 Posts