The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 98k on my truck and I am on my 5 coolant filter change. This is what poured out of the filter. I figured at this point of being on my fifth filter change that most of the trash would have been cleaned up by now, but have was mistaken. One of these days I wil open one of these filters up and see just how bad it really is. But this picture is for those that dont have a coolant filter on their truck yet. This was money well spent.

IMG_0765.jpg

·
188 Posts

·
1,661 Posts
I have 98k on my truck and I am on my 5 coolant filter change. This is what poured out of the filter. I figured at this point of being on my fifth filter change that most of the trash would have been cleaned up by now, but have was mistaken. One of these days I wil open one of these filters up and see just how bad it really is. But this picture is for those that dont have a coolant filter on their truck yet. This was money well spent.

View attachment 27962
Just wait until you do cut one open, you'll find alot more crap inside!!!:gaah

·
52 Posts
Yikes, I remember those filters/days:wtf....As long as you keep the OEM coolant in, you won't see the day that crap stops building! Do yourself a HUGE favor, flush all that fancy gold crap out of your engine, and refill with CAT-Ec1 rated red coolant, definitely keep the filter system, then you'll reach the days where that crap will stop building and the filtration system will stay simple and keep things clean as apposed to trying to constantly clean out the system.:toytruck

·
38 Posts
Just opened up my bypass coolant filter....

bootcamp, i just swapped out the first coolant filter (Dieselsite) after @10,000 miles. the filter element/ media was covered in this light brown slime. there was alot of sandy grit on the bottom part and sides of the filter canister. i am still running the stock gold coolant. i can see now that i need to change it out. what kind of coolant works best on the 6.0?
here are the pics...

Attachments

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude take a look back at some earlier post and there are several threads on what coolant and how to do a complete flush. Alot of guys use the CAT-EC1 red coolant and Restore to do the flush with. I am in the same boat and need to do a flush myself. I want that ford gold out cause it is more like ford rust..... If this stuff is coming out of the coolant filter, I wounder what my oil cooler likes????
Run your next filter for about 500 miles and the next one for 1000 miles these were the recomendations here on the site. I am on al least my 6 filter and I am still seeing this type of crap come out of the filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts