The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been toying with improving the HFCM water drain process for awhile now. This is what I decided on.

The elbow on the end does not fit on 4x4 models, but with Qwikvalve, it easily screws on and off. I had to remove it for my truck.

I did not want to add any more length than necessary because in very cold weather, I was concerned that the water in the line might freeze. Therefore I left it as a straight shot (no turns) out of the HFCM.

To install it, I did have to remove the screws from the HFCM cover plate so I could slightly tilt the cover plate and get the modified plug inserted with the threads properly lined up.

Attachments

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some pics of it draining.

I have only tried it once, and it seems to work well enough.

My only test was with an emptied upper fuel bowl. Sometimes I get a stronger flow (and more fuel draining out) than other times and I suspect that maybe the upper fuel bowl is emptying. My next test will be to drain it with the upper filter intact.

At first a little of the flow hit the drive shaft, but not enough to splatter or cause more than one or two drops to drip off of the drive shaft.

The flow (on the first test) is slow enough that it drops down quickly. It deflects some off of the valve opening, but does not contact the frame rail or brake lines. So far I am happy with it.

Attachments

·
3,051 Posts
Awesome Mark!

Where did you purchase the Qwikvalve from and whats the part no?

I think I want one.

Harry

·
1,324 Posts
I picture the discussion at FoMoCo engineering when they chose that spot in the chassis for mounting the HFCM on a two wheel drive then on a 4x4 and scratched their heads saying oh well. You don't see salt in your neck of the woods my driveshaft and underbody look slightly different. :roflol:

I'm pretty sure my plug is seized up it didn't want to move last time I pulled the filter. I decided to leave it be for now.

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Awesome Mark!

Where did you purchase the Qwikvalve from and whats the part no?

I think I want one.

Harry

A machinist friend and I decided on the "design". We cut off the tang, and drilled a hole completely through an upgraded drain plug. Then he machined and threaded a hole on the large end so that we could screw in the valve. Instead of completely depending on the threads (which he tapered a little) to seal, he machined in a groove on the face of the upgraded valve surface and installed an o-ring that would seal up against the face of the valve itself.

I guess it really was an EZ Drain valve (not a Qwik Valve)

http://www.oildrainvalve.net/ez-oil-drain-valve-1/

I chose the 3/8 inch EZ-102, but regret it a little. It had oddball threads. It stumped my friend for awhile. I wish I would have gone with the EZ-124 (10mm-1.25).

Reactions: harry6.0

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picture the discussion at FoMoCo engineering when they chose that spot in the chassis for mounting the HFCM on a two wheel drive then on a 4x4 and scratched their heads saying oh well. You don't see salt in your neck of the woods my driveshaft and underbody look slightly different. :roflol:

I'm pretty sure my plug is seized up it didn't want to move last time I pulled the filter. I decided to leave it be for now.
Funny, but probably true!

Yeah - we are fortunate here to not fight the ice and snow!

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have something similar, but with a 12 volt solenoid. I drain mine with the push of a button. Looks good.
I was thinking about yours as I was making mine up (and especially when I recently went under the truck to test it - lol)

Do you have a write-up on yours on one of these forums? It would be good to have a link to it posted here if you do. IIRC you sent me a pic of it, but for the life of me I can't find it.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Mark, good job.

Years ago I just moved mine to behind the transfer case where it's wide open. Can't figure out why that wasn't done in the first place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts