The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7.3L 2000 F-250 crewcab Lariat. I might be moving to California and would like to keep my trusty, faithful ol' Behemoth.

But I'm aware of California's persnickety emissions regs. Will a 7.3L pass their stringent requirements?

Also, are there any other Calif regs that would apply to my truck in general that other states don't regulate as harshly?

Thanks for the help. This site has always been great and the advice from the regulars here has saved me thousands of dollars and allowed me to become a better shade-tree mechanic. The Diesel Garage is the shizzle!

Catch

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
As long as the tuning is stock so it doesn't smoke and you have a stock, AIS, or carb approved air intake you will be fine. If the emissions decal under the hood says catalyst required, you'll need a cat, otherwise, no problems for 7.3s here.

In CA it's all about passing the visual equipment requirements, they rev the engine three times and judge how fast the smoke takes to disappear, and the plug into the diagnostic port to check for trouble codes. If you have any chips or modules, you just make them disappear for the test and you're all good.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
3 Posts
I have a '99 f350 crew cab 8ft. bed (federal) almost 10,000 lbs. with that being said if the vehicle is over 8500 lbs its obd II exempt just visual and smoke test also I set my tuner to stock and remove it and tuck it under the dash air cleaner is carb approve and I bring to Asian dude that doesn't really know about diesel he looks at my truck for 1/2 hr. or so close the hood ok you pass lol. some people bring their truck and get it smog on a windy day so the exhaust smoke can dissipate quickly. catch all, why would you want to move to this communist state I tell you right now the fishing sucks big time and I,m not lol'n

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a '99 f350 crew cab 8ft. bed (federal) almost 10,000 lbs. with that being said if the vehicle is over 8500 lbs its obd II exempt just visual and smoke test also I set my tuner to stock and remove it and tuck it under the dash air cleaner is carb approve and I bring to Asian dude that doesn't really know about diesel he looks at my truck for 1/2 hr. or so close the hood ok you pass lol. some people bring their truck and get it smog on a windy day so the exhaust smoke can dissipate quickly. catch all, why would you want to move to this communist state I tell you right now the fishing sucks big time and I,m not lol'n
amen brutha! If I move there I'm doing it for looove. Just got engaged.

I've heard the horror stories about your offshore fishing; thanks to the fish-hugging professional Environmental Industry :bdh, the Gummint has turned the entire California coast into one giant MPA no-fishing zone. Ridiculous!

Environmentalists are Watermelons: GREEN on the outside and RED on the inside. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts