The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tuck is a 91 f250 excab long bed. 8800 gvw. i have it registered as a passenger vehicle in NY state. when i registered it, my insurance guy said that it was just barely under the weight limit for a passenger vehicle. now im pretty sure the truck it self is over weight as it sits with all my tools, sound system and other things in it. i might be pulling a 2 horse trailer or possibly even a goose neck flat bed trailer 4 and a hours 1 way to help my friend move. i want to know if ill be considered over weight with the gooseneck and a chevy 3500 on it? not to worried about it with the horse trailer. thanks

·
3,754 Posts
Yes Im sure you will be overweight.The best way to check is load it up and weigh it at the local gravel pit or grain elevator. Around here no one really looks at pickups except in certain citys but for the most part they let them go. Many 1 ton diesel duallys are licensed with 8000 lb plates, and they run around with flat beds and goosenecks all the time. All it takes is one fine though to really hurt.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Those days are coming to an end. Many states are looking for that. Landscapers with any type load or plumbers with a ditchwitch on a trailer. They are looking for the fine money.

·
236 Posts
Depends on the state and who stops you. I would sure try to convince anyone that stopped me that the truck, trailer, and everything on it was mine. Don't admit to anything being your buddy's. Don't give them a reason to think you are commercial. Probably cheaper to pay a fine than to be legal for the occassional trailer puller.

Technically they shouldn't weigh you and harrass you as long as you are not being compensated for what you are hauling.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Depends on the state and who stops you. I would sure try to convince anyone that stopped me that the truck, trailer, and everything on it was mine. Don't admit to anything being your buddy's. Don't give them a reason to think you are commercial. Probably cheaper to pay a fine than to be legal for the occassional trailer puller.

Technically they shouldn't weigh you and harrass you as long as you are not being compensated for what you are hauling.
:whs

If the trailor(s) your pulling is for personal use, no one should give you any trouble. Should being the key word.

·
& amp; amp; amp; amp;
372 Posts
:whs

If the trailor(s) your pulling is for personal use, no one should give you any trouble. Should being the key word.
Just last week the city police in an area near me, were forcing all diesel vehichles and all trailers off the US highway for a side street inspection of fuel, saftey and weight?

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Not sure(never had to deal with it), but heard that no matter what the use if the vehicle isn't licensed to haul the weight, it's illegal. Your junk or not, it's purely weight vs. licensed GVW.

I drug my 40ft trailer all over the east coast for 4 yrs with NON COMM plates! I was lucky, as buddy got popped in PA getting off the turnpike a few years back. I suppose it is all "luck" as to if you get away with it and for how long. Seems they are cracking down more and more(for the revenue).

I was pulled around back at scalehouse one day and asked to see my paperwork. The Mack is historically plated, pulling a commercial plated trailer(race car trailer). I informed the scalemaster about the plates and they still wanted to see the registered GVW to make sure I wasn't overweight( I wasn't-truck is plated 33K# and I'm about 27K#). I was released without issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts