The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help on Winch bumpers and winches. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something heavy duty and good looking at the same time. Direct replacement is also preferred. I wouldn't want to have to do a whole bunch of modifications just to make it fit. I would also hope to keep the fog lights or at least have a place to fit some new ones. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!
:thanks:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based on the position of the fog lights, those should not be an issue. You might be able to get away with a behind the bumper winch, but for your truck, that is going to be undersized since I seem to recall the "behind the bumper" winches top out at about 9500 pounds of pull. For your truck, you should really have something in the neighborhood of 12,000 pound pull. Granted, this is assuming you are needing it for recovery, not for some other purpose. Even if you got one of the behind the bumper winches, odds are, you will need to modify the bottom edge of the front bumper to give you room for the rollers. You will probably also need to get yourself a piece of 1/4" plate and make a stand for the winch. Not a hard job, but messing with 1/4" plate can be a challenge without the right tools.

So, for ease, you are most likely looking at getting a brush guard with a winch mount on it. Personally, I don't consider them pretty, but they are functional.

The only other "problem" that I could potentially see is if you go with the behind the bumper winch, is there enough clearance for the winch to sit there. You will need about 10" between the rollers and the back of the winch. With all the coolers up front, you might be hard pressed to fit a winch in there. I don't have a truck yet to look at, so, I am kinda going off of memory from looking at a friends 2008.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and Nukie, the radioactive 97 X

·
119 Posts
Check out http://www.roadarmor.com/.

Thats what I'm running and I'm very happy with it. I went with the stealth version.

·
2,126 Posts
Do you have any pictures of that boondock bumper?

·
2,126 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
azdrt said:
www.boondockbumpers.com

Now thats one hell of a cow catcher..... LOL
that is the first boondock bumber put on a 08. there are no instructions yet
waiting on me to finish them...:damnit if anyone needs help instaling one shoot me a pm. we are working on a brace to help with bigger winches too.
the bottom fog light holes were made for the lights,you can call and have any style light frenched in if you like.

·
288 Posts
I got to keep my fog lights with this one... This is made by Body Gaurd out of Tiger Town, Tx.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
BeauxPete;

Now that looks awesome.

·
119 Posts
Superdutytd said:
Got any pics?
On my 05...Lots of options for grill guards etc.

Attachments

·
2,126 Posts
Do the 08 ones look pretty much the same?

·
119 Posts
Superdutytd said:
Do the 08 ones look pretty much the same?
Yes...Check out their website. I posted the link earlier.

·
1,705 Posts
What was the price? I think I'll get one for my Duramax dually :woot: .

BeauxPete said:
I got to keep my fog lights with this one... This is made by Body Gaurd out of Tiger Town, Tx.

·
Truck Toyz
653 Posts
FabFour. Heres one wit a 16.5k winch on it

Or one with a brush guard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts