The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cummins POWER
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where i can buy a winter front i have been using cardboard but i have heard that this is bad so i need something soon. thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Nothing wrong with using cardboard as long as it is not causing your engine to overheat. The two nice things about winter fronts is you can open and shut individual sections to allow more/less air flow and they look nicer than cardboard.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you have a local tarp or awning shop ? Ive had several custom made and they can make it open and mount to fit your needs .

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Bouncer said:
Nothing wrong with using cardboard as long as it is not causing your engine to overheat. The two nice things about winter fronts is you can open and shut individual sections to allow more/less air flow and they look nicer than cardboard.
That and..........did you see what "Diesel Power" claims on MPG after they damned up the front. They claim the hood acts as a parachute, so they damn up the front and got over 30 on a 1 ton! (August 2007)

I use cardboard AND I removed my fan, from both trucks. Although Before the summer I'm going to drop in Flex a Lite electric fans in my new one though so I get decent A/C. Speaking of which..........

Bouncer aren't you pretty good with the HVAC crap on these?

·
Cummins POWER
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they also did some other things to that 1 ton but yes it did get 30mpg. Ive been putting the cardboard between the intercooler and raidatior to still keep the intercooler and trans radiator cool would it be better to put the cardboard in front of all of this?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
That's what I do to both of my trucks. I put it between the intercooler and raidatior to keep the intercooler.......cooler. I would ONLY put it in front of everything if you are completely damning up the front for aerodynamics. Someone might dog you claiming there is no difference in air flow between cardboard infront of the intercooler and in back, but if you mess around with a laser temperature thing; you'll find there is.

Since you're probably not hauling anything, I'd take off the fan too. The temps seem to stay more stable without the fan on.

EDIT: FYI: I have had my pieces of cardboard slide across the whole length of my radiator, completely covering up causing my temps to get alittle on the hot side. If you see that just let off the throttle and crank up the heat! They should drop right back down.

·
348 Posts

·
Cummins POWER
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does taking off the fan consist of just those few bolts?

·
348 Posts
I also would like to know how hard it is to remove the fan? And for this work what do I gain? and should I put a Electric fan in it's place for those long up hill pulls or Hot summer days.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
bcmueller said:
what does taking off the fan consist of just those few bolts?
todt061458 said:
I also would like to know how hard it is to remove the fan? And for this work what do I gain? and should I put a Electric fan in it's place for those long up hill pulls or Hot summer days.
It takes a large 36mm Wrench that will sqeeze in between the pulley nuts and the clutch. It's going to take alot of power to brake it lose so you might want to use heat and/or use air. They are RIGHT HAND threads aka REVERSE threads!!!! Don't use something cheap on there or you will around off the nut making it impossible to get off. Case in point my 98.5 I had to just torch it off. My 2002 was alot easier. I just bought this wrench off Ebay for 9 dollars. (FYI it's still being sold for that on Ebay). Then I milled out down so it would squeeze there. After breaking it lose, make sure you put some card board or something behind the radiator so you don't damage the fins of it when you get it all the way off. Take it out threw the top.

Here are pics of the wrench I milled down:

Another:

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I did something a bit different and made my own winter fronts out of a old road sign. The sign was aluminum so I took it to a friend and had him cut it up. With a bit of filing and grinding it fit awesome...

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
WOW, how do you got those 4 pieces to stay in place?
Each piece is bowed so it would stand up away from the grill... Now in the center of each piece is a bolt (1/4" x 1 1/2") with a fender washer behind it and a nyloc nut.

I've seen several made from lexan, plexiglass, wood, aluminum, steel, etc...:popcorn:

They can't be stolen and they won't fall out. But it blocks the winter cold air and allows the engine to warm up completely. But if I'm hauling heavy the fan can still pull aire through the radiator and the intercooler. So nothing gets overly hot! :Thumbup:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
[email protected]

email that guy he is the man when it comes to winter fronts i have one of his and the quality is A+

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Mopar Man how is it you haven't converted your truck to electric fan yet?
I've been told long ago that electric fan couldn't pull the air like the stock fan. So I never bother with it. My stock fan stays unlocked most of the time so there is vey little load till I tip the 200*F mark on the gauge then the fan locks briefly and then cools it off and unlocks again...

I've though about pulling the fan off for the winter time...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Really? Maybe at like WOT and almost redlined. But I'm mainly converting to electric because of how much air it does pull. Thus increasing my A/C cooling. That's my main reason. I've read from a few different sources that your A/C works alittle better after converting. And my A/C seems slighty weak..............

I guess I don't haul anything besides campers and other loads of that weight range. So cooling really hasn't ever been a issue with me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts