The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Long Haired Country BOY!!
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys who live in the north, do you cover your grills in the winter for increased interior heat?:wave:confused::coal

·
1,465 Posts
I do. I picked up a Lund Cold Front cover off eBay a few years back.

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
I do too, even when I'm home in Oregon where I've only seen it below 0 once. I have a DeeZee radiator block off, it clips on the front of your grill. Sure warms up fast, but if I am doing any highway driving for more than an hour i will take them off.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
never do never had a problem with my ford

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
Never had a problem with it, but man its nice to get heat sooner when I don't have the opportunity to plug in the block heater.

·
TDG Mafia
651 Posts
I do too, but I have a relatively cheaper method. I have been known to use a pizza box lid and some zip ties, but have since moved to something a little more classy. I have an AgriGold corn sign, ya know that is put up around the fields at planting time. I trimed it a bit and punched a few holes in it for zip ties....I cover 3 of the 4 "squares" on the grille. It is made of corrigated plastic and does the trick! By leaving one section open, I can keep the motor happy while crusing but still maintain proper operating temperature.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
it doesnt get real cold here but i was thinking of making some to cover 2 of the 4 holes. might even make 4 and just drill a bunch of properly spaced holes. i have plenty of street signs to use.

Garrett

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know!! Given all the global warming and ALL, I guess I should count my blessings, It could be 3 degrees!!! LOL

·
17 Posts
For those with automatics you would also be blocking the trans cooler. Has anyone with a temp gauge seen what affect covering the grill has on trans temp?

Does blocking the grill help with the cab heater? My heater never gets hot. It will keep you from freezing to death but I rarely have to turn the heater down because its too warm. Is this the way the 2nd gens are?

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
my ford will cook your butt I never get past half way even this morn withit a 6 degrees and not even pluged in.started right up had heat in 4 mins.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
jester, my ford heater didnt work that good. it would take about 5-10 mins in 20* to get warm enough. i think my donor takes about 10-15mins to put out some warm air in 40*. i even have an electric fan that i NEVER turn on. only if water temps rise above 180* do i turn it on and that take 15+ minutes in stop and go traffic. i think im going to make my grill covers tomorrow to see how it helps with bringing engine temps up quicker and helping with the heater as well.

Garrett

·
1,465 Posts
For those with automatics you would also be blocking the trans cooler. Has anyone with a temp gauge seen what affect covering the grill has on trans temp?

Does blocking the grill help with the cab heater? My heater never gets hot. It will keep you from freezing to death but I rarely have to turn the heater down because its too warm. Is this the way the 2nd gens are?
I've never had an issue with my trans temps blocking off the grill.....there is still an opening to the cooler in the bumper and the heat exchanger under the manifold does more than the cooler up front anyway.

·
134 Posts
ok i need a link or something for these covers! i want one but don't want to build it!

·
53 Posts
Block off

Not only did I get heat sooner, but on the highway I picked up 2 MPG
Does the motor good to stay warmer:eek:

·
17 Posts
Not only did I get heat sooner, but on the highway I picked up 2 MPG
Does the motor good to stay warmer:eek:
That's interesting. My temp gauge barely reaches normal. Summer or winter. Maybe 160 or 165 degrees.

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
ok once again im confused. when you block it off our trucks run better???? and the in cab heat get warmer faster??

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok once again im confused. when you block it off our trucks run better???? and the in cab heat get warmer faster??
When it is really cold out the diesel engines struggle to warm up, by blocking the radiator the trucks warm faster and the heat goes to the cabin heater instead of out into the atmosphere.

Kinda nice to not have to wear a snow suit inside the truck. I would think that above 35* it would not be needed but below as it often is here this time of year in Missouri that a grill cover might just be the ticket.:thinking

1 - 20 of 24 Posts