The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few questions about starting this motor...

With the motor out of a truck, what wiring would I need to fire this thing up

anyone out there kind enough to have a basic schematic??

What do you guys use to set this thing up out of a truck on a "test bench"
to fire it up. just fabricate some sort of cradle to except the stock RAM motor mounts? then use some sort of bell housing mount?

what is the best source for a rebuild kit for this '94 12V

any help would be appreciated

-Rob

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Off the top of my head you need power to the grid heater relays, and activation, start and activation, pull for the shut-off solenoid (your hand will also work) and a hold for the shut-off solenoid

To set it up on a stand I'd bolt some plates to the side of the block and then weld bars to them that go into a base. The motor mounts will work but without the transmission on the back it might try to droop and point the front shyward, but I've never tried

:2cents

·
4,827 Posts
No computers to mess with on the engine to run it on a stand. The fuel injection pump is all mechanical.

If the engine is sitting in a warm shop, you don't need to wire up the grid heaters.

Just use fencing wire to hold shut off solenoid in the up position or remove it. Can manually shut it down by hand if you remove it. Need a jumper wire to supply batt + to the post that is hooked to the key switch that engages the starter, and hook the batteries up to the posts on the starter.

Just get a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge, to make you can keep an eye on it.

For a bell housing to mount the starter, buy whichever one you need to hook up the transmission you will use.

Have you done a compression check and/or pulled the head to see if it even needs a rebuild? Cummins would be the best place for a rebuild kit. I don't try to be a tight wad when it comes to engines. I prefer OEM parts for a rebuild. You know what kind of quality you are getting.

·
4,827 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts