The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I turned the key and nothing!! :thumbdown I shorted out the starter soleniod contacts and got myself to work. Other than the starter what else could it be? Can you buy just the solenoid or is this Hitachi thing one unit? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
could check fuses, The soleniods cost around 80 bucks.I have found the whole starter for under 100.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could check fuses, The soleniods cost around 80 bucks.I have found the whole starter for under 100.
Thanks, my parts guy can't find any of the solenoids anywhere. What's happening to all the parts? I can get a starter assy. at napa for $150, but I'd rather replace the solenoid.

All the fuses/relays are ok, swapped 'em and never got it to crank. I'll just keep my charred screwdriver handy!

·
1,709 Posts
Good luck finding the solenoids.

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
They cost to much,the starters I found are the same as you have on your truck not a knock off.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They cost to much,the starters I found are the same as you have on your truck not a knock off.
Thanks for your help Henry, but it wasn't the starter - it was the clutch position switch. I didn't even think that was a possibility seeing as I soldered the contacts together a couple years ago. Well, the other end of the contact broke on the micro switch and I finally fixed it for good tonite.

Should I keep the starter I just bought installed? Or send it back and reclaim $75???

FWIW I have some pics of the clutch switch mod I did.

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
Thanks for your help Henry, but it wasn't the starter - it was the clutch position switch. I didn't even think that was a possibility seeing as I soldered the contacts together a couple years ago. Well, the other end of the contact broke on the micro switch and I finally fixed it for good tonite.

Should I keep the starter I just bought installed? Or send it back and reclaim $75???

FWIW I have some pics of the clutch switch mod I did.
I would hold on to the starter for a rainy day it did not cost you much lol,I forgot your truck was a stick.

·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would hold on to the starter for a rainy day it did not cost you much lol,I forgot your truck was a stick.

Thanks for your help, when I get around to it I'll post pics of the switch mod I did. Hanging on to the starter...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts