The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck here at work has a miss while its running under a load. Isn't noticeable at idle they say. Truck is a 1997 7.3 with 260K miles on it. Oil is full, new fuel filter, and they just replaced the $1000 computer because thats what they thought it was before I got involved. Any thoughts on what it could be?

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And yes, we tried the CPS.

·
211 Posts
It is probably a bad injector.

·
257 Posts
:whs

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me add... it isn't noticeable in park, but once you put it in gear the whole truck starts to shake.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
If a shop put it on a scanner, ask for the codes they pulled.

If it's under any load (as in when placed in gear), then it sounds transmission related.

If it's when accelerating that's a whole 'nuther story.

$1K for a computer? I'd steer clear of that shop.

prt

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the maintenance shop at my work... They are good with gas motors, not diesel. The miss is there all the time, but isn't noticeable at speed. $1K is what they paid for the computer from a parts source, I believe. Brand new, not used. It's not throwing any codes that their basic scanner can pick up. I tried explaining to them that there are codes that it won't throw, but they didn't get it.

·
257 Posts
You can have a bad injector w/ no codes. You need to have someone perform a buzz test. They could try checking the manifolds with a heat gun, maybe find a cold cylinder.

·
257 Posts
You could also pull the valve covers and unplug the injectors one at a time and see which one makes no difference when unplugged. Probably not recommended but would work, kinda like doing a cylinder cut out test.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did a buzz test this morning, came back cyl #2 high low open. Popped off the valve cover and #2 was unplugged. Plugged it back up and truck runs better. Did a buzz test and still getting the #2 high low open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts