The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rollin' Coal
379 Posts
What really is the difference? and can one be upgraded to the other via software?
i belive the sf3 is just canned tunes. and the x3 has canned tunes and you can download custom tunes.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Exactly, both are phyiscally the same device. The SF3 has pre-programmed generic tunes, the X3 has custom tuning. You can erase an SF3 and use it for custom tuning, but it's a more expensive option.

·
125 Posts
BAck a while ago (maybe a year and a half) the X3 came with canned tunes as well as the ability to hold 3 custom tunes. My X3 is like this. When and if you own one of these you have to use the SF3 updates to update the software. But otherwise the X3 is for custom tunes and the SF3 is for canned tunes.

·
811 Posts
I have the SF and have 3 canned and 3 custom.

·
149 Posts
same here as well/ i have an SF3 that had canned tunes on it but also holds 3custom tunes as to where the X3 is just custom tunes

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
same here as well/ i have an SF3 that had canned tunes on it but also holds 3custom tunes as to where the X3 is just custom tunes
You got it.

The SF3 can be used on other FORD vehicles if you own one utlizing the canned tunes w/o the need to purchase custom tunes.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Some of the older firmware X3's allow for pre-programmed tunes and custom tunes. Due to issues with flashing back and forth between pre-programmed and custom, it was changed to one or the other.

The way a SF3 works is very much different than an X3. The pre-programmed tunes use a set of generic changes that are similar between all strategy's. Custom tunes are written for the actual processor code of the truck. We are able to change a lot more parameters in the custom tuning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts