The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was puking some pulling trailer, i'm still under warrenty so Ford installed new head gaskets (I supplied ARP's) Got the trunk back on Thursday now is seems to run different. I have gauges and it seems to boost higher and quicker, also it seems to run a little higher EGT's. I checked and my Strategy is still the same so could they have reflashed it and the Strategy stay the same?
I have my stock program if I reload it on the truck will it "override" any reflash?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
if you did not unlock you x2, then it reflashed your truck back to your previous stock strategy when you programmed it.

·
12 Posts
if you did not unlock you x2, then it reflashed your truck back to your previous stock strategy when you programmed it.
So, your saying if the strategy CHANGED from a dealer reflash and he hooks up his X2 and throws a tune in it, thats effectively going to REPLACE that new strategy with his OLD strategy (whichever his tunes are written for) ????

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
you got it,

Reactions: dfuser

·
90 Posts
So you can change your truck's strategy yourself,....if you load a tune that you HAD been running, which was built for your OLD strategy? I have the newest strategy in my truck currently, and I don't want to lose the features that come with it. Does that mean that I can't run tunes for my old strategy?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
most strategys are matched to a ficm flash, its not smart to be changing back from an updated flash, its updated for a reason. Any tuner can write tunes for any flash out there. If you get a new flash get a new tune.

so yes you are correct, you will have to unlock your sct witch removes your old factory file and will need to get new tunes to match your new strategy. unlocking makes room for the new stock file with the new flash so when you return to stock after a new tune is installed you put the correct file back on your truck.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I was trying say is, C,ould my truck get flashed at the dealer and the strategy stay the same? If so, I want to load one of my tunes. I'm don't know, but the truck ran really good this weedend pulling the trailer. Damn thing didn't buck one time! I pull big 38' toybox.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
What I was trying say is, C,ould my truck get flashed at the dealer and the strategy stay the same? If so, I want to load one of my tunes. I'm don't know, but the truck ran really good this weedend pulling the trailer. Damn thing didn't buck one time! I pull big 38' toybox.
if a pcm gets flashed or updated the strategy will change, its what defines what software is loaded, sometimes it only changes a very very little and sometimes enuf to make large tuning changes to compensate for it..

Im a bit really confused now..

IF you got flashed and then put an old tune in the truck without an unlock what is going to happen when you go back to stock is you will put your OLD stock file back in the truck making the flash go byebye.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I believe that is what happens. Since my strategy stayed the same after I had the work done I should just load up a tune and off I go. Now I guess I could go ahead and unlock my xcal2 but since the strategy didn't change why.....correct?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Yes, I believe that is what happens. Since my strategy stayed the same after I had the work done I should just load up a tune and off I go. Now I guess I could go ahead and unlock my xcal2 but since the strategy didn't change why.....correct?
right , the flash was useless. Dont bother unlocking now.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You changed part of your vehicles reflash, but not all. The most important part of the latest reflashes are the FICM retuning. If you didn't unlock your Xcal2, your PCM and TCM are flashed back to the old strategy, once you return to stock. The FICM tuning remains the same.

The X3 and Livewire will automatically download the new stock program, but the Xcal2 will not. The Xcal2 needs to be hooked up to the computer and unlocked. To unlock, you use the SCT LiveLoad software and hit the "unlock" button. This is simply a flag to tell the Xcal2 to download the stock program again.

In short, if you had a recent flash and it was mainly a FICM reflash, you will be fine. If you had a really old flash and were reflashed, you may run into some minor issues.

Either way, it's not a big deal. Just contact your custom tuning dealer and they can send you programs for the latest reflash based off of your old strategy.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess that brings me back to my first question.
If the dealer updated OR reflashed my truck would the stratgey change??
I used my xcal2 and checked my stratgey and it is the same as the day Innovative (Eric) sent me my custom tunes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts