The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wants to go faster
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can find anyone who will build me a stage 3 tranny for under 3500 to me i dont think a stage 3 build is worth any where near the price of a stage 4 but ive called almost all the trany builders i know and still 3700 to 4500 just for a stage 3 i dont think its worth that much ?????????????

·
wants to go faster
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?????

·
That guy
141 Posts
A stage 3 SUNCOAST build entails just as much work for the builder as a STAGE 4 build does, so the labor will be the same for both kits. The only real price difference is the parts which is roughly $500 or so. I know I built my own for quite a bit less, but couldn't have pulled it off without MIKE L's help.

·
wants to go faster
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to me thats crzy i want a stage three for way less

·
That guy
141 Posts
to me thats crzy i want a stage three for way less
You can want it, but the truth is it is just as much work for a shop to build the 3 as it is the 4. Both builds involve completely disassembly of the trans and all it's clutch packs, as well as tear down of the C1/C2 assembly to replace the C2 release springs, drill the oiling hole, and install the C1 orifices. Both kits will also require the valve body mods, but most stage 3 kits don't involve the converter flow valve and pump shim mods. Thos 2 mods only take about an extra 10 minutes or so to do while it is apart, so that is the only difference in labor. this is why most everybody goes with a stage 4 kit as it takes the same amount of teardown, basically the same amount of work, and only about $500 extra dollars tacked onto a $3500-4000 job. I know I would charge somebody the same to do either kit for them if I did it in my own shop for a customer.

·
182 Posts
Not a lot of difference between the kits so the price is compairable and like ferm said, its the same amount of labor. Don't forget when a shop has an out the door price they are including labor and the costs of fluids... 5-6 gallons of TES-295 fluid can be pretty spendy.

Your best bet, if your going to have some one else build it, is to save your money and have it done right the first time. Couple of shops are popping up doing trans instals cheap, but they are using inferior parts that don't last and trying to pass them off as SC equivalant kits.

·
wants to go faster
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help i called dustin awhile back and im prolly gona have him do it

·
What are sparkplugs
147 Posts
rebuild it yourself, that's what I did.

·
wants to go faster
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good for you i wish i could that it is not easy to do an allison.... they r very tricky and picky if not done right it wil screw morre stuff up

·
That guy
141 Posts
good for you i wish i could that it is not easy to do an allison.... they r very tricky and picky if not done right it wil screw morre stuff up
They're not that bad to build, the hard part is getting it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts