The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new Beru plugs, new fuel filter, bypass switch and only white smoke puffs as I try to start truck. We get as low as -7 with wind chill, 2 cars froze but new coolant fixed them. The old truck just won't start unless I use block heater. Temps normally btwn 20-35 this time of year but even on warm day no start without block heater. I find it hard to believe glow plugs died with less than 1000 miles and in 4 months.

Any other suggestions welcome as anothe $100 for the set will not go down well. I am buying the new solid state controller off ebay as an upgrade for the truck. The bypass has always started with 3-5 seconds until this cold weather came in. Even in Colorado with the old plugs it did well.

:bdh :bdh :bdh OK I said it.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
My guess is that the GPR is bad, when the contacts in the relay get burned (using a manual switch), the resistance increases and the applied voltage to the GPs goes WAY DOWN. Therefore, they do not heat as fast or even get as hot as they should.

You must have battery voltage at the GP terminal with the relay energized, one quick check for the GPR is to connect a multimeter accross the LARGE terminals of the relay and activate it, it better read less than 1/2 Volt or it's JUNK!

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks this sounds better than another $100 in plugs. I will try it as soon as it is over 30 outside.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well as usual quick shipping and I installed the plugs and new Soid State Controller today in less than 30 minutes. Truck has not turned over like that in years. It was like I used the dreaded ether to fire it up. No bypass needed and no smoke on fireup at all. Still cannot figure out how the plugs went bad so quick but with the new controller and plugs I should be fine for the next couple years.

Here is a like to the plugs and controller together.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=270883183985

1 - 6 of 6 Posts