The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a question in regards to towing capacity. I just purchased a 2003 F550 w/ 6.0L diesel and a dump box. I searched the forum and can't find a specific answer to my question.

I am curious as to how much weight I can tow with the truck. I am in construction and haul materials to site (mostly lumber and pavers), as well as machinery.

Seeing as I have a dump box on the truck, I was thinking a tag trailer is my best bet. I would like to be able to haul my skid steer (~7500 lbs) and mini ex (~6000 lbs) at the same time. I was thinking of purchasing a 12 ton tag trailer with electric brakes and tandem duals.

Is this reasonable?

Would the truck haul a 24k tag trailer? I know a gooseneck wouldn’t be a problem, but is it much difference to pull it as a tag?

Or is there a way to pull a gooseneck trailer with the dump box on? Maybe cut in an access hole to a gooseneck hitch mounted on the frame?

Right now I haul with a Chevrolet 2500HD (6.0L gasser) and it can be a few trips to get machines and materials to a site. Be nice to do things all in one shot.

Rarely would the trailer be maxed out, but would like the added margin of safety and the convenience of bigger loads when need be. I was considering a 10 ton tag, but the weight difference between a 10 and 12 ton tag is about 600 lbs, so better off to get the 12 ton in my eyes. That way, when the money rolls in to get a bigger skid steer, I will already have the trailer to haul it and the mini-x.

Thanks for your response.

Greg

·
1,606 Posts
What is the State law where you live? I know here in PA, a 24K GVW trailer is Illegal on a F550, too heavy.

·
1,224 Posts
PJ Trailers make a 22,400 gvw trailers, tandem dual tire, in both goose neck and bumper pull. I have a 28' gooseneck .dovetail, flip over ramps, with pop up center between ramps and its tare is 7500lbs. A pull trailer would be a lower tare and axle upgrades are available
Here is a link: http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FD

There are others out there that are similar, just need to check them out. Good Luck:happymugs

·
Cummins Tower
83 Posts
you could go either way. personally i'd go with a gooseneck. you aweso gotta check into you state laws for towing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts