The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the biggest/heaviest/most difficult thing anyone has towed?

For me it was a John Deere (I believe it was a 8100 Series) tractor stuck up to the rear axle in Kentuckey clay/mud. My big ego got the best of me, and I got it in my head I was going to pull this approximately 8,000lb tractor out with my Silverado. Well I got it out. It only took me a few hours, some big chains, 4WD Low and a lot of cursing, but I got it out. :woohoo

Anyone else got any good stories? :happymugs

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Back on Thanksgiving of 1985 (yes, 1985!) I ran from Portland up to Kent, WA to rescue my dad, who got snowed in at a job site with one of our Freightliners. I was driving a half-ton 4x4 LWB 1975 Chevy with a 350, one of our shop trucks. I had loaded up a full pallet of big truck chains (he needed them on the Freightliner and trailer), but couldn't find any place to get tire chains for the Chevy on Thanksgiving. The Freightliner was buried in a 5' deep snow drift. I ended up double-wrapping the truck chains around the Chevy's tires, holding them on with baling wire. With those redneck tire chains on and a bit of shoveling, I managed to pull the Freightliner out.

Another time while working by myself on a holiday, in a muddy section of a storage yard, I got a forklift stuck up to its axles. I grabbed the next bigger forklift and promptly got it stuck too. I tied the steering wheels straight ahead on both lifts, and tried pulling them out with my Blazer. All I managed to do was dig 4 deep ruts in the gravel. I grabbed a Freightliner dump truck, and hooked to the back of the Blazer (where I could keep the dump truck's drive tires on the pavement), and dragged the whole chain of vehicles back to the pavement. I was a bit worried I'd just rip the receiver hitch or tow hooks off of the Blazer. Not sure if it contributed, but the Blazer's frame did crack at the receiver mounting points about a year later. Wish I had a camera with me at the time of the stuck forklifts, it must have been quite a sight!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Socal Diesel Trucks
499 Posts
Being big in size I get asked and do alot of tows in the sand .

This is a 3 truck buried together tow starting uphill .

As I was going out I thought it would be fun to try and help these guys out .

They were kinda screwed stuck together . I threw them a strap and pulled them up the hill .

I found out after they were all aired up , ding a lings , no wonder they had such a hard time .

I like helping guys out that get stuck . Being buried in the sand is hell .

Video kinda sucks but you get the idea .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65bUUQtbgzI

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
My dad pulled a 21,000IBS load about 60 miles. That was with his 6.0 (signature)

·
1,854 Posts
When i was about 7 years old my dad and i hauled a cat dozer on our triple ax flatbed gooseneck 30 miles...with a 1984 F-250 Regular Cab with a 460 engine....i was ****tin bricks.. but we made it. I think it weighed like 28k #'s. Not very smart but i needed to be done i guess

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Being big in size I get asked and do alot of tows in the sand .

This is a 3 truck buried together tow starting uphill .

As I was going out I thought it would be fun to try and help these guys out .

They were kinda screwed stuck together . I threw them a strap and pulled them up the hill .

I found out after they were all aired up , ding a lings , no wonder they had such a hard time .

I like helping guys out that get stuck . Being buried in the sand is hell .

Video kinda sucks but you get the idea .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65bUUQtbgzI
Was that an H1 Humvee and another Kodiak in that chain of trucks? I'll bet the H1 guy figured he didn't need to air down ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
When i was about 7 years old my dad and i hauled a cat dozer on our triple ax flatbed gooseneck 30 miles...with a 1984 F-250 Regular Cab with a 460 engine....i was ****tin bricks.. but we made it. I think it weighed like 28k #'s. Not very smart but i needed to be done i guess
Impressive. Notice it was a 3/4 Ford. :thumbsup

·
149 Posts
The normal stuff that I haul is not that impressive however, I have hauled a back hoe on my tandem dual trailer more than a few times. Weight is at about 14,000 to 16,000 for the hoe and 7,000 for the trailer. One time I had made the mistake of picking up some tile and grout for a job. Using the same trailer I started to load up and saw how little space the tile and grout were taking up. So, I figured while I was there I was going to make it worth my while and pick up the tile and grout for the next few houses. I don't really know what it weighed but I had stacked the tile three rows high and covered most of the 20' by 8.5' deck and had the grout in the middle of the load. I am guessing it to be around 25,000 to 30,000. I never weighed it. I will never do that again, it was the dumbest thing that I have ever hauled!

LT.

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
A cat 637g scraper 112,000 lbs.

with my pickup carry deck crane on a tilt gooseneck truck 9,100 Lbs (with transfer tank full) Trailer around 6,100 (I think) oh and the shuttle lift 5540 (26,500lbs)

·
3,754 Posts
Had an 85 1 ton w a 6.2. assisted a semi that was stuck pretty good. W/as old and beat up as that truck was, that was a tough pull for that truck.

·
467 Posts
With my 12 valve a ford 4-door 1-ton with a 30' gooseneck loaded to the moon with hay about 30 miles.:coal

Back in the day I've weighed 114,000 pulling in to the rice mill. Single axle cabover freightliner pulling doubles.

·
Mafia #42
3,646 Posts
Other than my boat, I've used my truck to pull a kubota tractor out of a drainage ditch. It was early in the morning and the guy tried to cut a drainage basin, needless to say the ground was wet and he got stuck pretty good. It's nothin really serious tho, compared to what some of you have pulled.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
this was pretty big. luckily it didnt have to go too far. oh, and there were no air in the bags.

Garrett

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
My dad has had to hook up to 2 concrete trucks with his 7.3 and pulled them out...I just a few weeks ago put two
T-190 bobcats on my 20' trailer.
Heaviest personnal pull is 20 tons of granite behind our 05 International dump truck....385hp and an 8LL will get it purdy good

1 - 20 of 91 Posts