The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been diagnosed with a failed Low/Reverse Clutch. I get an occasional reverse shutter. And Tow/Haul mode doesn't hold gear; coasts then starts blinking and throws a code. Otherwise when not in Tow/Haul mode, tranny shifts great and stays cool.

To fix the Low/Reverse clutch, it's a complete tranny rebuild. I'm looking for feedback on your rebuilt Torqshift 5R110 transmissions. What holds up the best over the years?

My proposed baseline:
(1) TransGo 5R110W shift kit (TransGo 5R110W: SK 5R110W)
(2) TransGo 5R1-PLUG-PS (TransGo 5R110W: 5R1-PLUG-PS)
(3) Either the new Alto G3 clutches (expensive!) or their Red Eagle (5R110W Performance Master Kit)
(4) Triple-disc TQ conv w/ a lower than stock stall speed. 1600 rpm? 1800 rpm? No plans, but someday I might do injectors and turbo.

Not sure I can afford billet shafts and parts. I don't plan on crazy HP/TQ, just a good solid tow rig.

Thank you for any comments/suggestions!

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
How many miles did you get out of the original tranny? If you got a lot of miles, I would skip the billet shafts and concentrate on other parts like clutches and bands and the shift kits.

·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny went around 100k before the problems surfaced. I've gone another 20k+ on it. Still works great; I just don't have tow/haul mode, nor manual shift to 2nd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts