The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this a while ago in the idi forums, and nobody replied. My truck has 150000 mi on it. I was going to change the transmision and transfer case oil. Does anybody know how much oil they will hold. I was thinking about using royal purple synchro max. Thanks

·
Resident GINGER
775 Posts
I believe that it is 6.8 pints for the tranny, and depending on the transfer case, it's either 4 pints or 6.3 pints. 2 pints in a quart.
put in your year, select your brand and model, and then it has recomended fluids and capacities on the right.
http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
I did the same thing and did not like the RP my trans did not shift as good and sounded bad. I have a new trans and it has the OEM fluid in it

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
Not positive about the capacities, but I do know that being extra careful when you remove the drain plug from the transfer case will pay off....Aluminum and cast don't get along with gobs of turning power. 10 hours later we got the fluids changed that should have taken about a half hour.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the oem fluid? Our Ford dealer can be a pain to deal with, it would be better if I could get it at napa. Ill be careful on the drain plugs the fuel tank drain plug on a Kw is the same way.

·
TDG Mafia Member #73
1,003 Posts
Ford specs synthetic ATF for the ZF-5. I run Amsoil. Also do not over tighten the trans drain bolt. It can split the case. I want to say I added 3.4 quarts to the trans and 2+ to the transfer case.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Definately use Synthetic ATF instead of royal purple. I did the same as u this past summer and good god did my tranny hate me. After a few days of hard shifts and grinding, i changed to atf. dont make the same mistake i made.
:eek:wned

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't have 4WD, so I don't know hte capacity of it, but the zf5 will hold 3.4 qts. If you fill it from the factory fill plug, that's all you can get in anyway because anything more will flow back out. OR you can do what others (& me) have donw & remove the stick and fill it up form the inside. It's much easier this way IMO & a full 4 qts will fit. If you don't like the idea of removing the stick, do youself a favor and BEFORE THE DRAIN PLUG IS REMOVED, see if the fill plug will come out. I've read about many others who have drained the trans fluid only to find out the drain plug was stuck.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts