The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my 4r100 with a ZF 6, but am having trouble finding what I will need, basically. I know that I will need the transmission obviously, along with the clutch pedal and the assembly, but what else? Also, where is a good place to buy a ZF 6? I'm thinking that finding the transmission will be the hardest part... Are there any places online that sell ZF 6 swap kits? I've tried Google but it wasn't any help... :smoke

ETA - My ESOF 4x4 will work properly with the ZF 6... Right?

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Get ithe trans from Sogrand, he is a vendor of TDG.

·
608 Posts
finally someone getting smart and swapping an auto out for a manual.... thank you.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Dan is a great guy to deal with.........call him............

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
calebgriffin31 said:
finally someone getting smart and swapping an auto out for a manual.... thank you.
Thank you! Some guy on another diesel site (uh, more specific to my truck) couldn't understand why and basically made it sound impossible. LOL I'm going to send Sogrand a PM and ask him to chime in...

·
461 Posts
clutch pedal+assy
master & slave cylinder
flywheel and clutch (i'd go straight to a sbc ofe or higher)
tranny

are the mounts different?
lengths of auto vs. 6spd? what about driveshaft lengths, crossmembers, etc.

probably a new pcm without auto tranny programming...

new steering column cover

i've also heard the floorpan on the manual tranny is much higher, so that may be a pretty major roadblock for you.

probably a narrower brake pedal

...good luck
Paul

·
1,854 Posts
Zaairman, What did you figure out.
If my auto fails me again. I am going with the ZF6. If you wanna fill me in on what you know and what it takes that would be great

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
circle5 said:
Zaairman, What did you figure out.
If my auto fails me again. I am going with the ZF6. If you wanna fill me in on what you know and what it takes that would be great
I'm figuring about $2500 - $3000 for the heavy duty version. The transmission, T-case input shaft and clutch would be from SoGrand. Slave cylinder, clutch pedal, and shifter would come from Ford (or maybe a short throw shifter :shrug: ). Front drive shaft will need to be lengthened, rear shortened. Computer would need a tune. What I'm really hoping for is to find somebody who wants an auto in place of their stick...

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
circle5 said:
didnt get it
He sent it to me, and yes $2500-3000 with clutch. PM SoGrand for some prices on the transmission and options.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Did you get it swapped yet? If you did let me know what all you did and pics if you have any!

E

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope... Still driving the auto. If/when I do it, I will be sure to post lots of pics.

·
2,106 Posts
I have been seriously thinking about doing the swap for a long time, getting all the research I needed and a lot of prices. I came up with... I am gonna sell mine and buy a crew cab with the ZF 6 already in it. I was going to end up costing $3500 to $4000 at least to do it. I decided it wasn't going to be worth doing, at least in my case.

Something you probably have not found out yet is that you are going to have to change the input shaft on you Tcase.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Does anyone have the instructions to changing the input shaft? I have the tranny, shifter, and fork. I need the crossmember, slave cylinder, clutch pedal and hydrualics, PCM and floor pan (fabbed or canibalized from an older ford), driveshafts, clutch and flywheel, and T-case input shaft. Not all bad, I spent 900 on the tranny, which looks pristine, fork and shifter. I figure it shouldn't be more than a grand with all the other pieces. That is if I can find a good junk yard!

E

·
2,106 Posts
Clutch is going to be a grand alone if you go with one worth buying... Southbend. By the way it comes with a flywheel.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts