The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A ZF6 out of a 99 F550 will work in my early 99 F350 4X4 right???
I am pretty sure myself that it will but was looking for confirmation...

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
i would get the casting numbers andcheck em also gas vs diesel i think the gear ratio is different i know that was true with the old zf 5 spd

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never heard of a 550 with a gas engine...

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
i've seen em w v-10. i dont know why you would buy a v-10 but they are out there

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reason I was asking is because I am talking to the guy selling his in the Ford parts for sale section. Said it was from a 99 F550 and he said it would work with my truck, I am assuming he read my sig when he said that. But like I said before, I was looking for confirmation...

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
chances are that it will work it might have a wee bit lower first gear or somting weird like that but i would get it hell wish i had a 6spd in my truck

·
Former Ford AutoTrans Eng
169 Posts
If it is from a diesel 4x4 F550 it will fit a diesel 4x4 F350.

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is from a 4X2 what needs to be done?? Is it a change of tailshaft or something of the sort to make the T-case bolt up?

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
im not tottally sure for an sd but on the obs style 550 thay had a trans brake/e brake on the back of the trans like where your transfer case would bolt up so i think it would still work

·
758 Posts
The transmission will interchange between a early 99 and later 99 7.3L. If your truck is a 4x4 and the one you are looking at is a 2wd you will need to dissasemble the whole transmission and put a 4x4 mainshaft in it and a 4x4 tailhousing. The transmissions are the same from 99 to 03 f250 to f550.

Dan

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SoGrand said:
The transmission will interchange between a early 99 and later 99 7.3L. If your truck is a 4x4 and the one you are looking at is a 2wd you will need to dissasemble the whole transmission and put a 4x4 mainshaft in it and a 4x4 tailhousing. The transmissions are the same from 99 to 03 f250 to f550.

Dan

Thanks! How difficult would it be to do that change??

·
758 Posts
The transmission is not that bad to change as long as you have the correct tools presses and pullers. It takes my guys in the shop 3 hours to rebuild one. I also meant that the transmissions will interchange from 99 to 03 with a 7.3L F250 to F550. They made 6spd's in 02 up in the gassers. if you need a price on a rebuilt transmission you can shoot me a pm.

Dan

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SoGrand said:
The transmission is not that bad to change as long as you have the correct tools presses and pullers. It takes my guys in the shop 3 hours to rebuild one. I also meant that the transmissions will interchange from 99 to 03 with a 7.3L F250 to F550. They made 6spd's in 02 up in the gassers. if you need a price on a rebuilt transmission you can shoot me a pm.

Dan
You PM'd me a price a while back when I was talking about the conversion, I saved that message. I saw this trans in the for sale section on this site for 600 shipped and got excited... was trying to think of all the possibilities before getting too serious.

BTW, where y'all located? and do you have a wild guess of what shiping would be to Northern CA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts