The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my Dremel tool and did some carving tonight, how much did you guys cut out for this mod, I ended up cutting the size of the inlet pipe to the airfilter, I put a piece of heavy screen over the hole and a few stainless screws to hold the screen in place. Did everyone leave the grill as it was or did anyone put anything over the back side of the grill also?

·
3,630 Posts
Mine is still just a big hole...I get dragonflies in my air filter sometimes...keep waiting to find a bird in there...LOL

·
Registered
266 Posts
Could you tell a difference after doing the mod? I'm probably going to cut mine out this weekend and put some wire mesh up there to catch the bugs.

Did your intake sound louder? What about seat of the pants difference in turbo spool up?

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
I made a custom grill guard, you can look at my sig for pics. I am going to put the same stuff over my zoodad hole, if I ever ger around to it.

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Im thinking about doinf this mod this weekend myself... got to help at speed...

·
154 Posts
Mine is just a hole. I am getting a lot better flow. The sound is definitely higher and you can tell just how much better flowing it is.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I can tell alittel difference (I was driving an F-150 for a day while my truck was in for the recall) I ended up getting some screen door screen, the guy at the hardware store said it was the heaviest screen he had, I cut a piece about 3 1/2" x 5" and folded the edges over to double them up and used some stainless screws to hold this in place. I had to pop the airfilter out to put the stainless nuts on the screws.

·
Registered
266 Posts
JestersRidez said:
Mine is just a hole. I am getting a lot better flow. The sound is definitely higher and you can tell just how much better flowing it is.
That's all I needed to hear. The jigsaw, or dremel tool will be cutting a hole this weekend :rockon:

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dremel tool with a cutting bit works great, with the screen I put in place over the hole, I was done in 15-20 minutes. (including beer time)

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
I have done this to the previous two Ex's without any issues and will probably do it to the new 05, but will first get some benchmarks and then measure each mod's difference....

Not sure if there IS a quantifiable benefit to this...
but it's free,
it sounds like it should,
and I've not heard of any harm coming from it....

(other than the "you're stupid for doing this" pile on's @ TDS when you mention it :) )
even though it was a user @ TDS named Zoodad that came up with it !!!! :poke:

·
1,870 Posts
I did the same, and modified my Airaid intake. I dropped a temp Gauge in there before and after, and it was 60+ degrees difference. Don't know how much more air is going in, if any, but it was a cooler start.

See my pictures for the mod! :Thumbup:

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Done!

Sorry bout the washed out look, it's a phone not a camera, I had to lighten them up a bit to be able to see any detail. By the way if you do this mod use some gloves and safty glasses, the material is a fiber composit and will leave you wishing you had worn protection.

LargeCar :) :) :)

Attachments

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can see where this could/would benefit. I placed a piece of screen over the hole I cut, while running the truck this morning and checking it again, I can feel it sucking air in the new hole.

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
I left the screen off of my mod, I think there is enough of a bend in the air path that heavy stuff will go straight and/or fall out of the air stream. After I have run it awhile I will check the filter for bugs, birds, cats, dogs, little kids. If I find any of the later I will most likely install a screen as well.

LargeCar :) :roflmao: :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Rutcutter said:
Im thinking about doinf this mod this weekend myself... got to help at speed...

Once you remove the for top screws that hold the top of your grill, you can see what FORD left for us to suck air through! LOL

You're gonna wanna use a 10lb maul to open your hole once you see the little 2" window....

With the hole there is a "REAL" ram air effect, even when using the "STOCK" air filter box.... It's funny, because DJ's race truck runs a Stock air box.. :Thumbup:

-X

·
Registered
266 Posts
Alright, I just finished the Zoodad mod a few minutes ago. I removed the front grill to make things easier. I took my drill and a 2 1/8" hole saw and drilled two holes. I got some screen and fastened it to the fiber composite material w/6 screws (three on each side). I can put my hand up to the holes now and feel air sucking in :Thumbup:

·
Quest for 13s on 35s!!
190 Posts
After reading this thread I figured I might as well go out and do it. Didnt really notice a differance but hey free is free right!!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think the biggest gains from this mod is when your up at speed or getting their rather quickly, I deffinately notticed highway gains and the best analogy is it gave my close to what my a/c takes away, what ever that is...
My 2 cents....
j.schall

·
Registered
634 Posts
Does any one have experience with this mod. and a truck with a snow plow?
Is it more likely to suck snow and plug the filter? :shrug:
I am considering doing the Zoodad, but may be putting a plow on this year and don't want to do any thing that may be a issue later.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts