The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Not a Junior Member!
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PSDave’s style ZooDad mod, performed Nov ’05. Some use a Dremmel, others a door-knob-hole cutter. My son used a ROTOZIP on his 7.3L. I used a reciprocating DeWalt saw with a 24 TPI blade. Information here is not earth shaking ... just a confidence builder to those who are unsure. It's a righteous mod.

Photo #:
1: Stock, stock, really stock truck, before “the mod.”
2: Take off the 4 top 5.5mm screws and the grille falls forward.
3: It was safe to make this cut with the sawsall, so I did.
4: I placed a 1/2" hole to feel around. No tubes, pipes or wires.
5: So, I cut some more.
6: I made another 1/2" penetration like #3. Did a #4, and this is the result, a rough, but adequate hole.
7: This is the fiberglass removed.
8: Vacuumed the fiberglass dust real well.
9: A good spray with Armor All (glossy), and a quick wipe. And put grille back on.
That’s all to it!
I used a mask and latex gloves when sawing the fiberglass – dust collection utilized. 30+ dB ear protection and safety goggles were worn. Full compliance with CAL OSHA rules and regulations were observed - and as always, NO animals were hurt, no fur used, and no habitat was disturbed!

Attachments

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
what does this mod do?

·
Not a Junior Member!
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
barbershop said:
what does this mod do?
Barbershop-
The Zoodad modification allows ambient [cold] air to be rammed into the intake snorkel of the air filter. The intake aperture is located in the same place, be it the FoMoCo part or an aftermarket air filter housing/filter assembly.
The way the airflow goes on a stock vehicle, there is a 1 square inch aperture for fresh air to be fed to the air box. The rest of the air comes from the engine compartment [mostly warm or hot, which decreases the air density]. Supposedly, volumetric efficiency decreases and with that decrease, so does available power per stoke. It's sort of a leaking, closed feedback loop, because the intake air [now slightly rarified because it's warmer] goes through the intercooler, cools off a little, but surrenders the heat to the surrounding air near the intake nozzle - which goes back into the air box!
Be assured, the mod is easy, and technically; makes sense. It's a cheap and easy way to get a more dense air charge into the cylinders.
PSDave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts