The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just done the zoodad mod and i really can't tell much of a difference and i was looking around on the site and see that a couple of people are running the afe stage 2 intake. i read on the webstie it's suppose to add like 15-20 hp and something like 115lbs of tq..anyone running this and were is the cheapest place to buy one..here is the cheapest i've found

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1739

Mark

·
1,660 Posts
usually those advertised hp gains are at wide open throttle so you only see it when your foot is on the floor. the factory filters flow very well. the only real advantage to an after market filter to me is that i buy it one time and i can reuse it for life.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i like tha idea oh cleaning and reusing b/c when they are 40-60 bucks for an air filter it should pay for itself.. someone told me that this will make my turbo whistle louder..true?

·
1,660 Posts
i did not notice any louder turbo but you can hear the air rushing into the intake a little louder if your going to go with an open air element .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone know a good place with a good price to purchase one?

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
unless you are looking to squeeze every last HP out of your truck, i just don't see that it's worth the money for these things. it's possible to make 500HP w/stock intake, but yes, at those power levels you will see a bit more when using a quality aftermarket element.

however , and don't take this the wrong way, if you believe that it's actually possible to gain 115FTLBS of torque by simply changing the air filter, then you're going to be spending lots of money on unnecessary things. don't get caught up in the hype bro, your stocker is a great unit, but the afe is nice and will add a few ponies when you're already cranked up pretty much in the power dept. not sure where the best price is though

·
Registered
88 Posts
One more thing to consider, if you ever have turbo issues the dealer might void your warranty if he sees an aftermarket air filter.

·
571 Posts
I am just repeating what I've read, but the reason people don't like the K&N filter on diesels is because it doesn't filter to a small enough level. Meaning that dust can still get into the engine. As tough as diesels are these samll particals (dusting) can hurt your motor. That's why a lot of guys like the proguard7 filters. High air flow with better filtering.

Personally, I run an airaid and didn't notice much if any differance but I do agree, it's nice to be able to clean it and put it back on.

·
1,660 Posts
I didnt even notice the 115lbs of torque claim. thats a bit redickulous.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i know the claims for the ratings are b/s. i was thinking maybe 10hp at the most, i'm just trying to get the most out of my truck without messing with head studs or injectors

·
1,660 Posts

·
299 Posts
like he said if you get an after market intake make sure it cleans good. "Dusting" burns the edges of the fins on your turbo and starts to affect your performance. This is because of the speed that the turbo spins the slightest bit of dust will burn it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts